of those who propose to become members of the Scarborough New Golf
Club will be held at the Cambridge Hotel on Friday night next at
It was eventually decided
that a Limited Liability Company should be formed for the purpose
of carrying out the golf links and lawn tennis scheme, with power
to let the lands to a Club or Clubs to be afterwards formed. The
two Clubs subsequently formed were the Scarborough Town Golf Club
and the Scarborough Cliff Lawn Tennis Club. The latter Club was
never really a success, it became defunct and the lease of the land
surrendered despite its title, thereafter the company became only
interested in golf.
The first professional
to the Club was W. C. Gaudin, a member of the well-known Jersey
golfing family. In 1905 he left to go to Portrush and Arthur Day
was appointed in his place.
James Braid and Harry Vardon
During the early years
a number of very distinguished golfers played the course; all three
members of the famous triumvirate, Harry Vardon, James Braid and
J. H. Taylor, as well as Open Champion of 1907, Arnaud Massey of
the La Boulie Club. On the 6th August 1907 the Duke and Duchess
of Connaught and Princess Patricia visited the Club. The second
visit of royalty took place on the 9th September 1910,
when Prince Henry of Prussia, the Kaiserís brother, enjoyed a round
with Prince Muster Van Dernberg.
The course suffered considerably
during the years of the First World War and both the Limited Company
and the Club experienced some financial difficulties.
After the war Dr. MacKenzie
of Leeds, a surgeon gave up his profession to take up a full time
occupation as a course architect and was responsible for the design
of numerous courses world wide with the most famous being Cypress
Point, the Augusta National and Royal Melbourne.
After obtaining the lease
from the Corporation of the new land on the seaward side of Filey
Road, the newly formed company engaged the services of Dr MacKenzie
. He was commissioned to design and supervise the construction of
a new course, which is, with some alterations over the years, the
one that is played on today. Dr MacKenzie later became a Director
of the Company.
1921 saw membership of
the Club rise to 348 and visitor tickets to 3750 and the company
under the guidance of Dr MacKenzie further developed and improved
By the end of the decade
the pavilion was in need of repair, plans were drawn up for a new
Clubhouse and the building was duly completed and opened in 1930.
The professionalís shop was built later in 1937.
The Club suffered further
setbacks during the Second World War. There were virtually no resources
and with maintenance equipment that was either worn out or obsolete.
The enthusiasm and loyalty of its members pulled the Club through
and put it back on the road to recovery
1949 saw a new innovation
when a charity match was arranged against the Bronte Archers. Play
was under better ball rules. Archers had to forfeit one stroke if
the arrow landed in a sand bunker. To hole out, the arrow had to
hit a 4-inch disc. If the arrow fell within one yard of the disc,
one stroke was added. This event proved to be a popular competition
and continued successfully for a number of years.
The 1950ís saw the company
enter into a new lease agreement with the Scarborough Corporation.
The Club celebrated its 50th Anniversary with exhibition
matches and competitions. Mr Gillery with appointed Head Greenkeeper,
Mr Beilby became the Club Professional and on the retirement of
Mr J Sutcliffe, Mr E H (Eddie) McCullough became Hon. Secretary.
During this period both
the Limited Company (Deepdale Golf Club Ltd) and the Club (South
Cliff Golf Club) were experiencing difficulties as two separate
entities running the Club. Over the years discussions had taken
place to the benefits of changing the two existing Club status into
a single company. It was not until 1962 however, that such a company
was formed. The golf club was we know it "The Scarborough South
Cliff Golf Club" was duly registered.
Over the next decade
the increase in membership and extra activities within the Club
enabled the Clubhouse to be extended by the addition of the sun
lounge. This in turn brought the Club a unique World Record. Peter
Chambers, a member of the Club broke the world record for completing
the most holes of competitive golf played in 24 hours. This remarkable
achievement gained him a place in the Guinness Book of Records,
a record, which stood for several years.
The 1970ís heralded a
number of important changes and developments to both the course
and the running of the Club. The automatic watering system to all
the greens was installed. Discussions with Scarborough Council resulted
in a renewal of the lease for a further 28 years. With concern the
day to day running of the Club had become too much work for a Hon.
Secretary the services of a full time Secretary/Administrator was
Over the years the club
has hosted many events which have attracted many sports and showbiz
personalities. In 1979 the club hosted the "News of the World
Under 23 Match Play Championship" which provided Ian Woosnam
with his first professional tournament win
woosnam recieves the NEWS OF THE WORLD under 23 PGA Matchplay
Championship Trophy, at South Cliff Golf Club in 1979 from
Lady Carr. In attendance is the club captain Mr. R.A.Dale.
The Club continued to
attract an increasing number of visitors and parties or 40 or 50
were not uncommon. The Dai Rees Golf School visited twice a year.
C.I.S.W.A staged their National Championships at the club and showbiz
personalities visiting for the summer seasons were known to be regular
Throughout the years,
a number of South Cliff Lady and Gentlemen Members went on to be
distinguished people in the world of golf both as players and officials.
Which the club is justly proud. The most recent success is that
of Christopher Smith, who won the British Boys Championship in 1994
at the age of eighteen.
South Cliff Golf Club
is proud to be associated with the achievements of all past and
current members in the wider field of golfing fellowship.